Intro

Tasting the best that Utah has to offer from Provo to Salt Lake City.

Monday, September 27, 2010

Les Madeleines

TIME TO SPLURGE!!

As I stated in my first post, I want to help you find the best eats for a reasonable price here in Provo, Salt Lake, and everywhere in between.  This time, however, the food is a little on the pricey side, but oh so worth it: you've gotta try Les Madeleines Patisserie and Cafe in downtown Salt Lake City.

I heard about this joint on The Best Thing I Ever Ate and knew I had to give it a try.  Unfortunately, clips from that show are not as accessible as those from DDD, so a picture will have to do.

 You are looking at a Kouing Aman, the specialty of Les Madeleines.  How can I explain the deliciousness of this experience without giving you one to try for yourself?  Well, it is a crispy, flaky, crunchy, sticky, sweet-yet-salty, buttery, croissant-y, decadent pastry unlike anything I have ever tried before.  It is the most famous item at Les Madeleines and as such, you can buy no more than six at a time unless you call ahead.  You better get there pretty early or else you may be out of luck.

From my experience, there are two ways to eat the Kouing: the delicate layer-by-layer method, and the chomp down with reckless abandon method.  Whichever path you choose, you can't help but smile as you enjoy the harmony of flavors and textures as your teeth sink through the crispy exterior and fall into the pillow of buttery flakes hidden inside.  They say that drugs, alcohol, and sex were all invented by people living too far away from a Kouing Aman who needed a substitute for the REAL high that only comes from this sweet pastry.   

As I said at the beginning, this isn't like going to pick up a few donuts to start off your morning; these delectible delights will cost you about $4.50 each.  So when you go--and trust me, you really need to go--think of yourself as going to a gourmet restaurant for breakfast, expecting to pay more than a few bucks like you would if you just stopped for a bagel or two.  Life is short.  Eat!


Click HERE to check out the Les Madeleines website for their full menu, hours, and location information.  And if you aren't lucky enough to be here in Utah to partake of the Kouing Aman, you can order online and be enjoying your bit of heaven in no time.

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. And I am going to be in Salt Lake on Saturday. I must live right.

    AWESOME. I shall report back...

    ReplyDelete