Intro

Tasting the best that Utah has to offer from Provo to Salt Lake City.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Thai Ruby

Less than a stone's throw away from the Mecca that is Jay Dawgs lies a little Thai restaurant named Thai Ruby.  Upon opening the front door, you feel like you've stepped off an airplane into a new Eastern existence in exotic Thailand--the warm lighting, modern Asian decor, and the undefinable smells are unlike any you will find in Provo, UT.  One look at the menu will also make you question whether or not you were just sitting in the SWKT Tower mere hours beforehand; if it weren't for the italicized captions listed beneath each of the dishes, you would have no idea what you were about to eat.  However, you must conquer your fear of the unknown if you want to experience the unique Thai flavors that Thai Ruby has to offer.

I have three dishes that I can personally recommend, but if word of mouth holds any weight, I have yet to hear a bad review of any plate served at Thai Ruby.  My personal favorite is the house special curry with chicken.  The dish is composed of a red curry with chicken, pineapple, tomatoes, peppers, and other spices which give it just enough kick to make the back of your tounge tingle.  Top all that off with a touch of coconut milk and basil and you have yourself a winner.  The bowl of brothy goodness is served with a huge bowl of rice--assuring that any visitor will leave with a full stomach.  My mouth is honestly watering right now as I think back to that sweet, savory, spicy dish I had so recently, yet seemingly so long ago. 
They say a picture is worth 1000 words...
in this case, one bite is worth 1000 pictures.
This photo really doesn't do the dish justice.

I got ahead of myself.  I should have talked about the appetizer first; but if you only knew how good that curry is, you'd understand why I had to talk about it first.  The chicken satay appetizer is fabulous.  It is skewered chicken breast slices marinated and grilled to perfection served with a side of peanut sauce.  In all honesty, the chicken is just the vehicle to get that peanut sauce into my belly.  I can't tell you what's in it or what makes it so special, but you'll never want to go back to the old chicken nuggets once you've given this thai version a try.


The last dish to which I can personally testify of its greatness is the pad thai.  You could call this dish the gateway drug to all the delicious flavors that Thai food has to offer.  With so many ingredients in this dish, it is classified as a "do not try this at home" dish which has people flocking to their favorite Thai restaurant to get some more.  It is the Thai equivalent of Italy's spaghetti with tomato sauce--when it is done right, there is nothing to beat it.  If you are wanting to try Thai for the first time, this is definitely the dish for you.

Click HERE to check out Thai Ruby's website, complete with contact information and a complete menu.  Give this place a try and expand your idea of what Asian cuisine is all about. 

Cheers!

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm next time you're home you should try Thai Kitchen, just north of the Wendy's on Nellis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, why didn't you have this blog when we lived there?? Not fair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, I shall try this place next time I'm in Provo. Red curry is one of my favorite things.

    Do they have papaya salad? If you haven't tried a papaya salad yet, please do and report back. It's my new obsession.

    I'm going to this place...

    ReplyDelete